It might sound like a lot to keep up with, however, it is highly advisable to follow the fire prevention inspections periodically to make sure your house is safe from unexpected accidents caused by electricity. In this article we will share with you 20 recommended steps how to protect your property from devastating fire which can be caused by electrical faults.
1. Household Appliances should always be unplugged when not in use. Except for essential appliances such as refrigerator or a freezer.
2. All lights should be switched off when not in use.
3. Be cautions with appliances such as electric kettles or ovens. Do not leave it on or plugged in when not in use. It should also have a cover plate underneath.
4. Do not plug multiple appliances in the same outlet. This may cause a short circuit.
5. Do not use electrical appliances in the areas where the flammable or combustible materials are present.
6. If in use your electrical applicant emits strange noises, moans or burns, immediately stop using it and send it for a repair.
7. Highly flammable lamps, such as spotlights, should be covered with a heat protective cover and should be kept away from potentially explosive materials.
8. If the lamp is broken or keeps flashing when open, it should be closed and not used. It will not only increase additional electricity costs but the heat from it can lead to short circuit.
9. Avoid using electrical appliances that are not standardized, forged, imitated, damaged and defective. Using it can lead to short circuit.
10. Use electrical appliances as instructed in the manual. Do not over power its recommended wattage. It can cause electrical damage or short circuit.
11. Make sure that all your electrical appliances, that need to be repaired, are properly repaired as continuous usage may result in short circuit.
12. If the outlet is damaged or worn out, replace it before using.
13. Electrical wires of broken appliances are often damaged too, especially at the base of the outlet. If it is damaged, it should be replaced before using.
14. Switch panels should always be kept clean. Do not let the dirt collect on it or birds’ nest around.
15. The fuse and breaker should always be properly sized and stranded.
16. If the power cord is connected, tightened or taped, it should not be separated or multiplied from a single point.
17. Old, broken or swollen wires must be replaced to prevent electric shock.
18. Wires and pulling cords should always be installed away from sharp and heavy objects, heat sources, and chemicals. Keep in mind to always choose standard size cords, according to the type is used in your area.
19. In case the electricity supply has been cut off in your house or you are traveling away from home for a several days, the main power switch should be always switched off.
20. Reach out to an electrician immediately when you are having problems with your electrical appliances. It is important to call specialist in emergency situations.
Following these 20 easy recommendations will definitely help you stay away from electrical fire risk.
At Boss Electrical, a reliable electrician company, we do not only provide electrical inspection, house rewiring and renovation services but also 24-hour emergency electrician service. Therefore, why risk your life if you have a professional to work for you?